Thursday, November 15, 2007

Glad not to attend

I had the opportunity to attend the North Carolina Baptist Convention this year, but I chose not too. My excuse was that I couldn't take the time off from work. Truthfully, if I had wanted to get off work, I could have. The past two years, I have attended the convention. I appreciate the experience, but I imagined there would be nothing new to experience. I was correct. New issues arise every year, but if one is truly honest, there is nothing truly new. The treatment of the Nursing Homes last year was my last straw. I gave up on the Convention after this. When they actually used the word "leverage" when talking about 80 and 90 year-old men and women.
I feel the same way many other mainstream Baptist feel. I feel pushed out. I attended the CBF National Convention this summer. The difference, to me, was night and day. I felt welcomed. I felt as if we were all one big family. This is what I look for in a Church and in a Convention. I know for many people it is a theological issue. It is not for me. I am probably more conservative than many of the people I met at the CBF convention. Yet, I would be deemed a "liberal" by those in the NCBC. My issue is freedom. I merely want the freedom to believe and practice the way I choose. There are plenty of churches around. It should not be hard for everybody in North Carolina to find a church that fits them and their theology. I think we should all go to the church that best fits us, and let the rest of the churches be autonomous.
I was glad not to attend the convention. If I am not welcome somewhere, and I don't really want to be there, than there is no need for me to go. For now, I say maybe I'll go next year, but probably not. One thing is for sure, however. I am looking forward to Memphis.

No comments: